_______________________________ May, 2019
Over 800 bicyclists will pedal along a select route from the west to the east end of Kansas for an annual event — and you could partake in the tradition!
Biking across Kansas, endearingly known as BAK, celebrates its 45th year, June 8th-15th.
This tradition features an approximate 500-mile route, for bicyclists to accomplish over 8 days. Each year the route is different, and is designed to celebrate the Kansas landscape.
Three ways to partake
1. Pedal. Participate as a bicyclist, if you register by May 31st.
Mount your bike, and join bicyclists from Kansas and 30 other states who take on this annual adventure.
Most BAK bicyclists have made this trek a tradition. And also this adventure is open to newcomers.
“Today, about 1/3 of our bicyclists are new to the BAK tradition,” says Stefanie Weaver, Executive Director of Biking Across Kansas.
So, everyone is super welcome to take up a bicycle and take on the route.
2. Celebrate. Join the celebration at a township.
Select townships mark pauses for overnight stays along the route, in rhythm with the long stretch. The overnight townships each welcome BAK with festivities, that may include live music, entertainment from local clubs, and street fairs.
Join the celebration, and nudge elbows with bicyclists. Festivities begin late afternoons.
If you happen to be driving along the BAK route, June 8th-15th, you might notice streams of bicyclists making way. Wave to them as you pass. Resist blaring the horn, Mrs. Weaver cautions, so not to startle them.
● The 2019 BAK route starts at the Kansas-Colorado border west of Goodland, June 8th, and ends in Atchison, June 15th.
● Registration to participate is open till May 31st. To register, link here.
● This is the largest bicycling event in Kansas history. For detailed information, visit Biking Across Kansas.